Random stuff, in no particular order about no particular subject(s) whatever.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

...oh, and don't be fooled. I often ramble here several times a day. Really, I know I should be doing something else - but don't TELL.

Monday, October 27, 2008

Okay folks, I need serious help

Really. I'm in a serious dinner rut and inspiration crisis.

I've perused my cookbooks, browsed my favorite recipe websites, pillaged thumbed through my (extensive) magazine recipe files...

I just need someone to cook plan my dinners for me.

I know that's a lot to ask, so I'd be very happy if you all would just share a typical 5-7 day rotation with me.

Recipes would be nice, but not necessary. I am just begging desperate for new ideas.

Oh, did I mention that DH (that's darling husband) isn't really a fan of red sauce or chicken. That seriously limits my pasta repertoire.

Personally, I make a mean lasagna and I love spaghetti, roast chicken, and cheesy pasta dishes. But not DH. Ugh.

Oh, and Darling Daughter doesn't really like anything besides mac and cheese, spaghetti, chicken nuggets and my spanakopita. Ugh.

Number One Son will eat (almost) anything. Whew.

And me? I'm not a huge fan of fish or seafood. Although I do make a breaded lemon tilapia for DH. I just make it on a night when I'm not really hungry.

See my problem?

I'm just getting bored of running through chicken piccata, sloppy joes, spanakopita, pastitsio, pork chops, burgers, chicken pot pie, etc. See? I'm so bored, I can't even think of what we usually eat.

So I would be forever grateful if you would just give me ideas of what is in your family-friendly, economical dinner rotation.

You guys are the best!


21 comments:

Creative Junkie said...

well, I can't give you a 5 day rotation because I don't have a rotation ... more like a daily frenzied search for things to make for dinner.

But one of the easiest things I make is: throw a package of stew meat in a crockpot with an envelope of Lipton onion soup mix and a jar of gravy and let it cook approx 6 hours on low. Serve over egg noodles. My family inhales this stuff.

kristin said...

Now *that's what I'm talking about!
Thank you.

Evil Twin's Wife said...

How are you all on ground beef? That's my main staple item. I do easy stuffed bell peppers. Buy Uncle Ben's mexican/spanish rice. Brown beef and blanche the peppers after coring and deseeding (blanche means to let them sit in boiling water for a few minutes). Add the rice to the ground beef and throw in some shredded cheese. Pour a can of tomato sauce on bottom of pan (or don't if no one likes red sauce). Stuff peppers with beef/rice mixture top with more shredded cheese and bake until cheese is melted. Serve with rolls or a green salad.

Jennifer Chronicles (jenx67.com) said...

My family loves Hamburger Helper. I fix it once in a while with frozen peas and then have something like chocolate pudding afterwards. My favorite chili recipe is two cans of Ranch Style beans, 1 pound hamburger and one can of tomato sauce. Brown the beef and mix the rest and simmer for 20 minutes or so. I serve it with fritos and cheese OR macaroni. I also fix meatloaf - 2 pounds of hamburger, 1/2 cup of ketchup mixed in with some chopped up onions and a couple pieces of bread crumbs. Smoosh it into a loaf and cook for about 30 to 40 mintues. I serve it with frozen corn or mixed veggies - oh yea, 1/2 cup ketchup for the top for baking. Most Sunday I make pot roast - just dump it in the crock pot, add grated carrots, potatoes and a slow cooker roast beef mix (McCormick's.) I serve with those frozen yeast dinner rolls. Everyone loves mom when I make that.

Miss Thystle said...

how bout tatey tot casserole? package of frozen tots, semi thawed and haved, a pint of sour cream, can of cream of chicken soup, some chopped onions, shredded cheese and cubed ham. mix together and season, let sit over night if you can bake at 350 until hot and brown.

PearlsOfSomething said...

Darn. I just made a yummy chicken and dumplings in the crock pot the other day.

I've got a pepper steak for the crock pot that involves a can of stewed tomatoes. Not sure if that counts as red sauce.

I've also been doing roasts in the crock pot lately. For some reason, I really only use that thing in the fall. Subsequently, it is the only season during which my family is well-fed.

And... well, tacos make their way on to our menu once or twice a month >:).

Judy M. said...

I am lucky in that my husband will eat anything. So, I'm only dealing with the kids and their foibles. When I feel really uninspired, I just ask them all to name a meal. Even my husband (who thinks it's funny to answer "Food" @@). It takes the onus off of me, and, if they don't like it, they can make a cheese sandwich. And, at least one or more people are truly happy.

Your list really isn't bad--try changing out the type of meat you use--pork loin instead of chops; turkey burgers; beef pot pie. How about shepherd's pie? Nothing like meat smeared with mashed potatoes to make a family happy. :) Try some stir fries (which are good on pasta or rice, and can be just made up as you go out of any mixture of meat and vegetables). Alter the side dishes, rather than messing with the main dishes, if your family likes them. Ignore your DD. She sounds like my middle child, the picky one. I certainly don't plan meals around him (other than making mac and cheese when he asks for it for "his meal"). Like I said--there's always the cheese sandwich. :)

Judy M. said...

I made these tonight. EVERYONE liked them, even Mr. Picky:

http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/cranberry_herb_burgers.html

Ignore the weirdo sauce. That wasn't part of it when I printed the recipe a year ago. I served them on whole wheat potato rolls with a side of broccoli. I thought about sweet potato fries, but I was too lazy. :)

Anonymous said...

hello there - we are a gluten free sugar free house - so no pasta here.

Lots of mince made into balls, patties and savoury mince etc etc etc ... with a 4 and 5 yr old sausages are always a go.

Friday night is nachos nite - just for fun and laziness ...

I will go find a groovey aussie recipe for something and come back - cheers le

Kristen said...

I don't have a 5 day rotation but I do have one idea.
How about Shepherd's Pie
Brown and drain hamburger. Mix with a can of cream of mushroom soup and spread on bottom of casserole dish. Top with peas, then cheese, finally mashed potatos on top. Bake about 30 minutes at 350.

Kristen said...

I've been BOO-ED now you have too. Come by my blog and pick up the link. All you do is link it back to me and then go BOO your frineds and have them link back to you

Heather said...

We always do nachos on Sunday nights. Started the tradition back when the Sopranos were on on Sundays, then it was the Wire, and now it is the Amazing Race. (What? Yeah, we eat in front of the TV. Sometimes.....) We do individual dinner plates of nachos which allows for customization (for example, I don't eat jalepenos and Hubby loves them). A minute and a half in the microwave and voila, dinner is served!

Also a big fan of shepherd's pie here - my recipe is brown a pound of ground meat (we usually do beef but I've done turkey before too), mix in a can of Vegetable ABC soup (a nostalgia thing going back to how my mom made it when we were kids), I also throw in an extra small bag of frozen veggies and a little extra ketchup or tomato sauce if need be, then pour into pie shell (yep, I use the frozen ones - this doesn't seem right for making a crust from scratch!), top with mashed potatoes and cheddar/jack cheese, bake in oven 'til the cheese is melted. Leftovers don't last too long on that one........

I also have an easy-peasy chicken pot pie recipe except you said your DH doesn't like chicken. If you want it, I'd be happy to e it to you!

On our laziest nights when we don't want to cook (we=me) or it is just too late, we do breakfast for dinner. Sometimes that is just a bowl of cereal, even. I love breakfast for dinner! :D

kristin said...

I can't begin to tell you guys how much I love shepherd's pie! That hasn't been in the rotation for a while. DD is the only one who won't like it, but too bad!

And I am the crock pot queen, I'll have to pull that out again.

I do have a lot of casserole recipes, but I feel guilty for using them - like I should be grilling more and using lean meats so that my family doesn't waddle all over town and get heart disease later in life.

But really? My favorite food groups (*besides chocolate) is cheese, potatoes and eggs. and pasta. Anytime I can find recipes that combine those items, I am HAPPY. Not healthy, but happy.

Cheese + potatoes = heaven

kristin said...

I am totally stealing the nacho night idea!

Even dd likes nachos.

Anonymous said...

Steaks, steaks, steaks, and lots OF 'em! Nuke some russets, and cab-sauv for the grown-ups. Heaven on earth!

Amy said...

I actually haven't cooked much the past 2 weeks because of DH's trip, but we do tacos, grilled chicken, chili, vegetable soup, roasts in the crockpot, and a casserole here and there.

Heather said...

Hmmm, cheese and potatoes.... sounds like PIEROGIES to me, baby! The Wegman's brand are quite tasty, not that I'd know that from making those like once a week here at my house or anything....

I do pot roasts in the crock pot all the time. One pot roast covered with 1 can cream o' mushroom soup and then a packet of Lipton onion soup mix (the dry stuff) over the top of that, add 1/2 cup or red wine and let 'er go.... Serve over egg noodles and voila, delish dinner that makes the whole house smell fantastic!

kristin said...

Greg, if I could afford to cook steaks everynight, I wouldn't be coming to the internet for ideas.

I'm with you, that would be my fast and easy choice, except swap the cab for a merlot and I'd be all set.

Unfortunate;y, my grocery budget would only last one week, not two. :-(

Marla said...

I've started the pakkitchen for just this thing...
www.pakkitchen.blogspot.com

that and i'm now doing dream dinners... there is also dinners ready... a great way to get out of your rut... and it's a real deal...

Linda said...

Two words:

"Supper club".

Picky eaters fend for themselves.... (which in our house means usually 'peanut butter spoons')

http://www.stalkedbygod.com/2008/08/supper-club-ministry-in-action.html

Sounds like you've gotten some great ideas...

what I'm making for supper club these days are soups... lots and lots of soups.... throw it in a crock pot, and serve with oh, I dunno... salad and rolls...

Linda
www.stalkedbygod.com

YO Adrienne said...

www.papajohns.com

that was dinner for my family tonight.
I'm tired of hearing the complaints and figuring something that everyone will eat!

Thanks for checking out my blog... you've got a great one here!

Post a Comment

What Are *You Thinking About?
Go ahead, you can tell me.
It's just between us. ;-)

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Let's Give' Em Something to Talk About.....

How 'bout life?....

analytics

Observational Humor Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory

Look how many people have wandered in