Random stuff, in no particular order about no particular subject(s) whatever.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

...oh, and don't be fooled. I often ramble here several times a day. Really, I know I should be doing something else - but don't TELL.

Tuesday, March 3, 2009

On holidays that are ruined by Hallmark and others


St. Patrick's Day may just be the last unspoiled holiday.


Think about it.

  • Christmas - devoured by the pressure to get the perfect gift. and stocking stuffers. and cards. and office Secret Santas
  • Valentine's Day - whether you're single or married, need I say more?
  • Easter - somehow has morphed into another gift-giving occasion. Easter baskets and candy and Easter gifts and new dresses and shoes.
  • Mother's Day - what to get your mother. what to get his mother. how to ooh and ahh over another clay ashtray or other craft doodad. and hope that if they cook for you, you don't get stuck with the clean-up.
  • Father's Day - they only ever want ONE thing, no matter how thoughtful you are with your gift presentation
  • Fourth of July - Someone always wants you to make your special potato salad when all you want to do is lay in the sun and take a swim
  • Halloween - a sheet to be a ghost is no longer a good enough costume. And God forbid that you try to convince your child to wear last year's $49.99 costume with accessories that cost $19.99 each. You have to plan and shop and save for the. perfect. costume. Or, do a Martha Stewart impression and sew up a wonderful creation as a symbol of your love and status as a homemaker. And a bag of Hershey miniatures is no longer good enough, as the neighborhood children have a spreadsheet and keep track of which houses give out the cool candy. And you have to get candy, cards and treats for your kid's entire classroom. and teachers. and the lunch lady. and the bus driver. You know what I mean.
So, that leaves St. Patrick's Day. An excuse to have a nice cold pint, dye your hair green if you so desire and have fun. NO gifts. NO cards.

Nada.

Zip.

Just fun.

Now, aren't you getting excited?
[New+Picture.png]

15 comments:

Creative Junkie said...

Hah! My MIL ruined St. Patty's Day by giving all the grandkids gifts for it ... so now they've come to expect gifts from us as well. And I refuse to give in. I need one sane "holiday!" Isn't it bad enough that we have to inhale cornbeef and cabbage ickies that day?

Heather said...

I'm all about corned beef, but please hold the cabbage. (Potatoes are okay...)

You know, Hallmark and co do make a very extensive line of St. Patrick's Day cards. Just sayin'.

I married into an Irish family (some relatives a few generations back were O'Riellys) but even being part-Irish by marriage, there still is no big celebration. Thank goodness.

I have eaten green bagels on purpose on 3/17 though - thanks, Brueggers!

3carnations said...

I also wanted to mention St Patrick's Day cards - The store has a huge section of them. Not that we give them. We occasionally get one from my MIL because she's Irish by marriage. Heh. Hubby and I are both actually Irish, but not as Irish as my MIL thinks she is.

Tuesday Taylor said...

Yessssss, I so agree! Plus, unlike a holiday like say, Mardi Gras, you don't necessarily have to celebrate St. Paddy's on the actual day. You can wait until the weekend, no prob!

kristin said...

oooh, Scandy - good point!

I forgot about Mardi Gras.

What Kate Wore said...

Memorial Day...Labor Day...oh no! What happens if we leave them out??? (Tee-hee.)

This is too funny, and we are loving your blog!
tp

Anonymous said...

I go for Thanksgiving. Nothing to do but eat. Ok, there's dishes but by then, you need to stand up for awhile.
When Jack was a baby my fave 'holiday' was Mother's Day. I could SLEEP!
Jack's fave day is APRIL FOOL'S DAY. No kidding! hee hee

kristin said...

Oh, nooooo, George's family gives out gifts to all the kiddies...... it's not a free holiday anymore.

Plus, since we don't see them at Christmas, the really organized sisters-in-law have all their Christmas shopping done. Ugh. Not me.

Anonymous said...

I love Thanksgiving. It's all about food and football. No cards, no gifts.

Can I tell you how offended I am that I have to sing a Lenten prayer service at 7pm on St. Patrick's Day? Who came up with that? Whisky. Tango. Foxtrot.

Krëg said...

Hey, I've been making quality St. Patrick's Day Cards for over three years now.

Matter of fact, I need to start brainstorming on my 2009 model...

Jane! said...

And corned beef and cabbage!
Sadly, you know it's not a highly commercialized holiday when there are no official m&m's. This year they sold the green ones as Valentine the New Color of Love M's. Like they purposely wanted us to forget St Patrick's Day.
I wonder if the Irish pissed off someone at the Mars company.
Sorry, rambling...

Deb said...

Arbor Day. It's a bitchin holiday.

Mary@Holy Mackerel said...

Yeah, Hallmark stole all our holidays and made them suck. I hate them all now. Not really...

Anonymous said...

I've always wanted a green beer. Have yet to have one.....

Anonymous said...

well for some St. Pat's isn't cheap as they prefer to make a toast or 12 to recognize this wonderful day and that definitely costs money.

;)

Post a Comment

What Are *You Thinking About?
Go ahead, you can tell me.
It's just between us. ;-)

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Let's Give' Em Something to Talk About.....

How 'bout life?....

analytics

Observational Humor Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory

Look how many people have wandered in