You can email me if you don't want to publicly comment.
I'm not usually overtly political. But in a low-key way I tend to have liberal leanings and a maybe a bleeding heart.
But I have diverse friends, including Blog friends who are more conservative. I try not to offend - either politically or religiously.
I've noticed Facebook updates, Twitter updates, and Blog posts and comments that indicate that those of you who are McCain supporters (and I respect that) are not only disappointed in Obama's win, but fearful of our country's future.
My question is why? I can understand differing views on economic policies, taxes, social welfare issues, etc. But why the fear?
I've seen comments about getting a gun, hiding a gun, stocking up on ammo, moving to Canada, surviving somehow, about Obama being part of a sleeper cell, about Iraq and Afghanistan celebrating his win....
What is it that you are afraid of with his election?
I admit that I supported his campaign. I'm also on the fence about how his tax proposals will affect my family. But I agree with most of his positions and philosophies.
I disagreed with some/ much of McCain's positions (and really thought his VP pick was inappropriate from an experience point of view), but I would not have been "fearful" if he had won. Disappointed, yes. But not fearful.
And I thought McCain's concession speech was gracious. He reminded me of the McCain that I supported 8 years ago. I thought last night's speech was better than any of his campaigning.
Will any of you be willing to explain it to me?
Is it economic and foreign policy? Is it experience?
Is it rumors/ fears about his cultural or religious upbringing?
Is it, dare I say it? Race?
You can use the anonymous comments if you prefer.
13 comments:
I am making every effort not to be fearful, because I refuse to believe that the majority of our nation could be "fooled" into electing someone who present a danger to us, whether directly or indirectly, but I do know, from conversations with others, what the fear is. I will share them here.
Part of the fear is of his connections. All of these people, like William Ayers and the PLO associated person on the LA Times tape. These people are of questionable character and motives. Who you associate yourself with really does matter, and when you hang out with people with shady motives, people begin to wonder about your motives.
Part of the fear is also the fact that countrys who are not our friends endorsed him. Is it really a good thing when countrys who wish harm upon us support a particular candidate for our president? Do they think he will make us an easy mark?
The fear was resonated in Joe Biden's comment a couple of weeks ago that Obama would be tested by a generated crisis. Basically saying something bad is going to happen to see how Obama reacts.
Obama was elected as our president yesterday, therefore I support him, and I won't second guess our country's choice, because it's futile.
My personal reasons for not voting for him, however, were primarily his economic policy and his abortion stance, particularly his rather radical stance on failed abortions.
I do have a question for you, however. Why did you wait until after the election to ask this?
Thanks for sharing that.
I asked now, because it's *after the election that I'm seeing these comments.
Yes, I saw *some of them before. But I'm worried about those people who are fearful. Not afraid of them, but worried about their obvious discomfort.
I didn't ask before, because I knew who I was going to vote for; this wasn't a question to swing my point of view, but rather to understand the fear of others that is being expressed now.
It has nothing to do with race, per se, for me. It has everything to do with his connections (particularly Rev. Wright), inexperience in foreign affairs (especially war-related issues), and the fact that I am very, VERY pro-life.
BUT, I do fear for my children's future. I believe the U.S. will be targeted more than ever by the middle east.
Here's a question: Who do radical muslims detest and want to destroy more than any other race/religion/culture? Americans? Jews? No. Worse in their eyes are those who left the Muslim faith for another. They are the ultimate infidel.
I realize Obama is not directly guilty of this....but there is family history...and I don't think radical muslims care about the finer details.
I'm not fearful - just disappointed, but I'll get over that too.
I think the other two commenters have given you all the reasons one might be fearful. I can't think of any others right off the top of my head.
these are great questions
I lost three followers the minute i posted in support of Obama. So funny! Like: we can't read your blog now that we know you voted for HIM. Ah, Utah-I'll miss it.
Great comment, Lorrie. I lose followers when I post anything about Jesus. Christ, Obama, what's a girl to do? hahahahahaahaa.
I would like to throw in my 2 cents.
I think people are fearful because, there will be an uprising of black politicals and that whitey is gonna loose his edge. Times are changing and the "race" oppression if you will is going to be "on the other foot".
having said that, if McCain would have won there would have been an even bigger "uprising" saying the cards were stacked against Obama, or foul play was involved.
I am really glad he won by such a HUGE margin so there is no confusion.
side note:
I am white.
I voted for him, not for his race but for what he will do for me (us).
honestly? I am jsut scared for our constitution and talk radio
Thank you everyone for your comments.
Mandy - can you explain? Constitution and talk radio?
Laureneer - there's a lot that I'm worried about for my children (fear might be a little too strong a word for me) - I worry about work unrest, I worry about environmental issues, I worry about overpopulation, but I (honestly) don't think Obama will propel us (or make us any more vulnerable) to any more danger on the world front than McCain would.
I love you Lorrie Veasey. I heard Utah's not all that its cracked up to be...
I don't get most of these comments, but I'm done trying.
I HAD a very Rep friend that included me Weds in a ridiculous email forward, so I hit reply all and said if we can put aside the constant negativity and work together for the changes that we have been promised, this will be a better place for everyone. I decided that I will continue to ask that of anyone that continues to spread the negative comments, and doing so I was told that I humiliated my friend in front of her 'rep' friends. So friggin what. I am insulted by bullets that turn into razor blades and the idea that victims of rape should not be allowed the choice of what to do with their body.
Kristen, you are a brave girl to ask this question to such a divided audience, but keep on keepin on. Thats all we can do.
btw K
where is the box of bloggy goodness? do you have a gps on that thing in case it gets lost?
On a different note.
There is a new award going around and you just won! Come over to my blog and pick it up.
Have a great day
Post a Comment
What Are *You Thinking About?
Go ahead, you can tell me.
It's just between us. ;-)