Random stuff, in no particular order about no particular subject(s) whatever.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

...oh, and don't be fooled. I often ramble here several times a day. Really, I know I should be doing something else - but don't TELL.

Thursday, November 13, 2008

Spanakopita, as promised

See how the layers separate and are flaky?

SPANAKOPITA (GREEK SPINACH PIE)

2 pkgs. frozen chopped spinach

2 sticks butter, melted

6 eggs, well beaten

1 or 2 med. onions, finely chopped and sauteed

1 lb. cottage cheese or ricotta

4 oz. cream cheese

1 cup or so of parmesan or romano grated cheese.

3/4 lb. feta cheese, crumbled

1 box filo, defrosted ( do NOT let this sit out in the air – it dries out very quickly and cracks)


Cook spinach and drain VERY well; add 1/4 cup melted butter to it. Mix eggs, sauteed onion, and cheeses together and combine with spinach. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter bottom of two 9x13 inch pans.

Fold 4 filo sheets in half, and place them in a pan, one at a time, brushing each sheet (and between each sheet) with melted butter. Distribute half of spinach mixture in each pan, evenly over sheets. Repeat process with 4 more sheets in each pan. (So you have 8 layers on the bottom and 8 on the top)


With sharp knife, cut through tops to make into squares or triangles. Bake 1 hour or until golden brown and puffy. Cool and cut into squares. This can then be frozen; reheat at 350 degrees.


You can play around with these ingredients and quantities, based on what you have at hand. It’s very forgiving. I like it with more feta cheese, my daughter likes it with more cream cheese – LOTS of it. I also sprinkle sesame seeds on the top and a little parmesan cheese.


You can also cut the filo into strips and fold up little triangles with the spinach mixture inside. It will look like little folded flags.


Enjoy!

2 comments:

Evil Twin's Wife said...

I've never worked with phylo/filo (not sure) before... it sorta intimidates me. But, this looks sooo good, I may have to just jump right on in and try it!

Debbie said...

I love, oh so love, spanakopita but haven't made it in years. Your pictures are so great, you have inspired me.

Post a Comment

What Are *You Thinking About?
Go ahead, you can tell me.
It's just between us. ;-)

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Let's Give' Em Something to Talk About.....

How 'bout life?....

analytics

Observational Humor Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory

Look how many people have wandered in