Random stuff, in no particular order about no particular subject(s) whatever.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

...oh, and don't be fooled. I often ramble here several times a day. Really, I know I should be doing something else - but don't TELL.

Wednesday, November 19, 2008

A confession

Okay, I'm really not mean-spirited In Real Life, honest.

And I realize by confessing this I open myself up to all sorts of criticism of my evil ways, my shallowness, my own physical (and other) imperfections......

So before I get all catty and petty, in full disclosure, I'll admit to some of my more public faults.
  • I weigh more than I should (snort)
  • I have many bad hair days and a wardrobe that would make Stacy and Clinton cringe.
  • I procrastinate. It's maddening, I'm sure.
  • I'm slovenly.
  • I have too many piles. I seriously need to declutter.
  • I'm not always prompt with my thank you notes.
  • sometimes I'm just not motivated.
  • I am often an uninspired cook
  • I ignore things that need to be fixed, like loose buttons on a shirt and pants that should be ironed or that stubborn stain on my daughter's favorite shirt.
  • sometimes I wait until the end of the day to wipe the toothpaste out of the sink
To be fair, I think I have a fair amount of desirable qualities, too, but that's a post for another day.

But am the only one who secretly does a fist pump when they see a photo of someone they knew in their teens or early 20's; who was an "It Girl" or BMOC, and they used to be so super skinny or so perfectly coiffed or drop-dead I-can't-breathe-gorgeous or whatever and now they are....

.... different?

I mean, I know we all age, and some of us take better care of ourselves than others...

Most of the time, I see pics of people I haven't seen in 20 years and they look exactly like you'd expect them to. With a few extra pounds, or a few less hairs, or gray hair, or wrinkles. No big surprises. And I'd probably recognize them if I bumped into them.

But once in a while, I see a photo of someone and I think, "Holy Crap!".

Like they are the COMPLETE opposite of what you would've expected when you were younger.

Like an ALIEN came and took over their body and replaced it with one from another gene pool?

Really, no? I'm the only one?

Go ahead, flame away.

Honest, I don't think any less of them, but I just think "Wow", or maybe "Whoa".

And I should add, sometimes it goes the other way, too. I knew them in all of their adolescent awkward glory and college un-fashion and now they're..... grown up. (Big surprise, huh?) Put together, successful, hip.... I know I shouldn't be surprised. But am I the only one?


7 comments:

Evil Twin's Wife said...

I'm surprised if someone has put on a lot of weight since high school. At my last reunion, there was one girl I would not have recognized until someone told me her name and I was like, "Great Googly Moogly, she packed on some pounds."

I'm also surprised to find out the girls I figured lead charmed lives and were also very attractive have been divorced 2 or more times and can't seem to hang on to a husband. It could be that they're just bad marriage material or that they're picking the wrong guys, but they'd always had the golden touch in high school. King Midas in Reverse, maybe?

Anonymous said...

No, it's not just you, lol. I had a moment like that recently, when I saw a picture of one of the most popular girls in my high school class (albeit popular mostly with the boys, lol). My jaw literally fell, and DH was looking over my shoulder and said, "Holy shit, she really let herself go, didn't she?" I'll be shallow with you, lol.

Deb said...

I'm with ya! I love to see deterioration. Bad, bad, me.

Lorrie Veasey said...

I just think you grow older and have the face you earn. What's inside becomes more visible.

Bj in Dallas said...

K
I did a whole post on this cause I ran into someone that used to look pretty good then....
not so much.....it was kinda fun walking away thinking 'dayum, you are so falling apart and i'M not" very normal, I'd say

J Fab said...

OMG! I think that all the time! I was an ugly duckling in school up until about 9th grade. When I was in 8th grade, all the boys would make fun of me because I was soooo flat chested! I didn't even wear a training bra! In 9th grade, the CUTEST & most popular guy in school liked me. Geesh, I lived on a cloud for like, 2 days. It seemed that his more popular friends told him that I was not pretty enough for him and he broke up with me!! Total devastation. I'd like to run into those bithes today. I hope they are miserable. LOL Well,thankfully, I got my hooties in 10th grade and they exploded! Things started looking up. I still see the bitches from my senior year that were prettier than me and they dated the most popular boys in school. I'm pretty now. I havre a hot husband. I still have boobs, too. Real ones!
Vain, I know.... but I still get a chuckle when I see those hags! Thanks for the laugh and I am totally with ya on this one!

Mandy said...

no, you're not the only one:)


what has been shocking me is some of the spouses of the "popular people" from HS ... I keep thinking: "you would have NEVER even looked at a person like that way back then"

also, I have one "friend" that MUST HAVE lots of "work" done ... she was already pretty ... BUT boobs do not naturally LOOK LIKE THAT ...

another thing I wonder in these pictures of people is HOW IN THE HELL DO YOU AFFORD **THAT** HOUSE????

Post a Comment

What Are *You Thinking About?
Go ahead, you can tell me.
It's just between us. ;-)

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Let's Give' Em Something to Talk About.....

How 'bout life?....

analytics

Observational Humor Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory

Look how many people have wandered in