Random stuff, in no particular order about no particular subject(s) whatever.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

...oh, and don't be fooled. I often ramble here several times a day. Really, I know I should be doing something else - but don't TELL.

Thursday, June 12, 2008

No excuses

So, the humidity has broken, and I was dead set on going for a jog/walk before work this morning.

And I did.

Sort of.

Our young cat, Koala, got out this morning (how is another tale of sullen pre-teen defiance and early morning surliness, but that's not the story I'm telling this morning.)

So, both kids are frantic, their school buses are just around the corner and instead of herding her towards the house, they send her scampering off across the yard.

I have a dilemma.

I'm clad in my jammies with wild bedhead, and barefoot to boot.

Now, I'm the sort who has, in the past, showered and dressed before making breakfast for my houseguests. Even family.

What to do? What to do.

So, being the superhero Mom and cat-lover that I am, I throw modesty and self respect to the wind and grab the first pair of shoes that I can.

Oops. My new leather sandals. From Lands End. That I wore for the very first time yesterday. Did I mention that the morning dew was still on the lawn? :-X

Of course, all reason had not fled, so I grabbed a trenchcoat from the closet on my way out the door. Come on, you can't really expect me to run around the neighborhood tackling cats bra-less with just thin cotton jammies? Seriously.

Anyway, the kids were yelling, the buses were coming, the morning dog walkers were circling the block, and the cat kept sprinting further away.

Ay, yiy yiy.

Everytime I thought I was herding her closer to our house or forcing her to turn around, she found an opening and went to the next yard.

We live just a block away from a busy road. I don't want to think about the number of animal carcasses that I've seen on it in the 14 years I've lived here. And yes, she ended up in the front yards of the houses that border that road.

She was eying the back yard and had taken up refuge under the boughs of a large pine tree that the neighborhood kids use for a fort and for climbing. ( a really cool place, but that's for another day)

My neighbor the cat lady came over with a plate of food and treats. It didn't work.

I threw large pine cones behind Koala to startle her and she darted near me. I tried a football tackle and missed.

She ran around the side of the house and my sandals were wet and slippery (my practical side was trying not to worry that they were ruined and my Mom, cat-lover side was trying not to panic as she was getting closer to the busy road.)

I threw my trenchcoat over her and tried another football tackle. By this time, I was red in the face, hot, sweaty and panting. So much for a morning run. And I had a headache.

Koala went near the house and a rainspout and I was trying not to scare her under the fence she was eying, when neighbor and cat-rescuer Martha grabbed her by the scruff of the neck like a momma cat. Whew.

Now, I'm sweaty and muddy and relieved and I'm not going for a run.

So there.

Maybe later today.

Hope your day starts smoother.

And I haven't had my coffee yet.

2 comments:

Evil Twin's Wife said...

I think you got your exercise! FWIW, I always put my bra on before I get out of bed even. I wake up stark naked and never quite remember how I got like that, but I have my clothes on the floor. So, I gather it all up and put it on before rising. Besides, my out of control floppers need help. I can't believe I just typed that.

Unknown said...

Wow, what a morning! Hope the rest of your day was better.

Post a Comment

What Are *You Thinking About?
Go ahead, you can tell me.
It's just between us. ;-)

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Let's Give' Em Something to Talk About.....

How 'bout life?....

analytics

Observational Humor Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory

Look how many people have wandered in