No, really. Despite the fact that my newly teen-aged son thinks I'm the Worst. Mom. Ever.
I still ordered a pizza delivered to his school for lunch with his friends. :-)
(granted, when I tried to call this morning, it was too early; and then I sort-of-forgot-and-called-in-a-panic; but it got there, okay?, despite all that)
I even ordered wings when I told him I wouldn't. It's sort of a middle-school tradition to order pizza on your birthday and share with the friends who normally sit with you. It's amazing how many little turds become your bestest friend when you have pizza to share.
Yes, I do sound a little cynical, I know. I'm working on it. It's just that you sometimes forget how self-centered children can be sometimes, (yes, I also know that it's a developmental stage and will not necessarily lead to self-absorbed adults) and then you are figuratively slapped in the face with it.
Last year, I called from work and ordered the pizza, picked it up and delivered it in motherly fashion to the lunchroom and then went back to work. Not only was this not time efficient nor gas efficient, it also exposed me to the dreaded "I'm-too-cool-for-you, thanks-for-the-pizza-now-please -leave-and-pretend-I-don't-know-you" treatment. It's just *not cool to be seen with your parents at school anymore. And I'm all about protecting my son's rep, you know. Not.
This year, I was smart and ordered and paid for it on the phone to be delivered to said middle-school. Darned if I'm going to spend lunch time playing chauffeur and wasting gas.
I'm assuming it got there okay, because the driver called to ask exactly where he was being met and I didn't receive any panicked phone calls asking what happened. I didn't add the tip on the phone because I wasn't sure if they would pull this off successfully, and my son isn't well versed in credit card transactions, so when I see number one son this afternoon and hear that all was delivered as it was supposed to; I will stop by the store and tip the driver, Josh.
Because I *am nice. Dammit.
Oh, there I am.
1 week ago

2 comments:
way nicer than me, at any rate. M's birthday is Sunday, and I will be out of town, so I told her that she could have her birthday in six months instead.
At least I didn't tell her that I canceled her birthday. Even though JR high kids are the main reason I'm an accountant instead of a teacher. Wicked, horrid age that.
Thanks goodness they out grow it!
Happy Birthday to your son! You ARE a nice mom!!
Post a Comment
What Are *You Thinking About?
Go ahead, you can tell me.
It's just between us. ;-)