Then we got motivated and hooked up the hot tub, assembled the hammock ( I probably already wrote about that), cleaned the mice cage, went to lunch, got dd a haircut, then went to the boat to meet my in-laws and the aforementioned menfolk.
All was idyllic - there were drinks and snacks and friends and family - all oohing and aahing over the boat. We had plans for an afternoon cruise, then dinner on the boat. I made bbq spareribs this morning, marinated chicken breasts to grill, Greek meatballs (keftedides), corn on the cob, chardonnay, watermelon. Aaahhhh.
Darling daughter had a primo spot on the front bow deck of the boat, soaking up rays, mother-in-law went to join her, I poured a glass of wine in my boat-approved-acrylic-wineglass; and I too went forward to enjoy the sun and relax before the cruise.
DD and number one son were going in and out of the forward hatch ( a little 2x2 window that allows access to the forward cabin - bedroom) - they were WARNED to stop before they got hurt.
You can see where this is going, can't you?
Yup. Suddenly, dd, goes down and bumps her elbow, knocking her head HARD into the edge of the hatch. She falls down below (onto the bed - no problem) I hear the cry and debate dropping my wineglass and contents on my MIL in my haste to reach dd. I opt to quickly shove it into MIL's hand instead, and jump swiftly and nimbly down the hatch to grab dd in my comforting mother arms to kiss her booboo and give her a stern maternal lecture about not playing in the hatch, blahblah,blah.
Instead, number one son yells that *I'm covered in blood. And sure, enough it's oozing, no almost gushing, from dd's head. Not a cause for alarm in and of itself, because as you may know, head wounds, no matter how minor, bleed significantly.
However, if you've ever owned a boat, especially a new one, you know that you CAN'T BLEED ON THE CARPET AND UPHOLSTERY. Seriously. It's true, so in addition to my care and concern for my daughter, I'm yelling for a towel and ice to apply pressure and look at the wound. I was also trying to ensure that there was no blood dripping, while dh was yelling about being careful, blahnlahblah - telling *me to be calm. (I am calm, dammit, just hurry up with the towel and ice, thankyouverymuch). It was immediately apparent that there was a large gash that would need more than just a kiss and a band-aid.
Did I mention that the first thing my number one son said was "I didn't do anything. It's not my fault!!!!" ? Poor kid, I can hardly blame him, because it so often is his fault or at least he's blamed.
So MIL and I drive to the nearest hospital, effectively crushing any plans for an evening cruise. Luckily the hospital was about 5 minutes away. We pull up and a security guard offers to park my car for me - VERY IMPRESSIVE.
Anyway, I'll skip the rest of the gory details, but we were seen right away in a special pediatric section, they were wonderful, dd needed 4 big staples in her head - apparently that's preferred on the head instead of stitches, she got a huge headache, a sore elbow and threw up a few times.
She went to sleep, we all ate dinner and I carried all of her 50 pounds to the car to go home to bed. And yes, my in-laws are in my bed - I'll be sleeping in dd's trundle with her, and the boys are on the boat again - with a sleepover for number one son. The show must go on.
We'll try again tomorrow for a nice cruise - although we won't go far due to the outrageous price of gas. :-(
Nice things about this hospital:
- Very close
- no wait
- they parked my car
- took dd in a wheelchair
- saw her right away
- were very nice to her
- brought her a popsicle while we waited in the exam room
- we were there, start to finish, for less than 2 hours - we were in a room and examined within 15.
Thank God. Truly.
Anything fun and exciting happen with you this weekend?
Stay safe.
Anything exciting happen to you guys this weekend? It's not over yet.

5 comments:
Good gracious! I'm glad she was seen so quickly and is doing okay.
Ugh on the gas prices too. My old boss is a boater and I remember going out (38 foot Carver) with him about 10 years ago and it cost him about $300 to fill up the tank. I can't imagine now.
Poor kid! I hope she feels better now. DH nearly passed out when he realized they were going to staple Maddie's head with, well, a stapler, lol.
She's back in action today (and promising not to jump anymore, to listen to her parents, yadayadayada) Anyway, I had to watch even though it was "icky" (that's a medical techincal term) They are big, and real staples - you could here the ca-chug (not really a ca-ching) with each click. But Emma was more afraid that there would be stitches, not so worried about the staples. I don't like that they purposely want it to gap and not be shut tight - it looks awful.
Did they give you anything to put on it? They gave us an antibiotic ointment to keep on it until they took the staples out. Maddie had 2, I think? She didn't even flinch, I thought she'd be screaming.
Yup - bacitracin. It's pretty oogy and goopy.
Post a Comment
What Are *You Thinking About?
Go ahead, you can tell me.
It's just between us. ;-)