Random stuff, in no particular order about no particular subject(s) whatever.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

...oh, and don't be fooled. I often ramble here several times a day. Really, I know I should be doing something else - but don't TELL.

Monday, May 12, 2008

You're not going to believe this...

A few weeks ago, I wrote about being frustrated with my number one son calling me from school complaining of a headache, an earache, not feeling well, etc. I thought he was avoiding something at school or being a wimp.

Well, last night he was playing back yard ball and got hit in the head. He came home and we put an ice pack on it and after a few minutes he was foraging in the fridge for leftovers for dinner.

How bad could it be if he was chowing down? We gave him a tylenol, told him this wasn't an excuse to call in sick to school and went to bed. He wandered into our room around 4 AM saying he couldn't sleep. Not too unusual, he's sleepwalked before. He wanted to go on the computer and I told him, no way, go back to bed. Fast forward to this morning - he gets up, gets the paper, makes toaster waffles (I know, I'm Mom of the Year), and plays with the cat. No complaints, I send him off with a tylenol just in case.

Dontcha know it, I get a call from the school nurse around 10 AM - it's like clockwork, I swear.

But she makes me feel guilty that I shouldn't mess a round if he got hit in the head, so I call the pediatrician. I explain to the receptionist what happened, as as my reservations that he's been pulling this crap for a few weeks now. She, too says that he should be seen since he got hit in the head. Oy Vey! So we go.

The doctor is thorough and asks about the headaches, talks about eye strain, asks about water consumption, does a vision test, blood pressure, etc. Turns out we should see the eye doctor, his prescription probably changed - I kind of knew that, he was due in the summer anyway.

But here's where it gets good.

The doctor looks into his ears as part of the work up and I warn her she might find potatoes and carrots. We chuckle and she looks in the second ear and says " You've got to look at this" She says there's something green in there. I look in an see something yellowish green and round. I immediately knew what it was.

A plastic BB! Number one says no way, they aren't green.
uh-huh, yes they are.
Two and a half weeks ago, he went to a b-day party where they all played with airsoft bb guns in the wooods. They all had goggles, and some had helmets, and they shot at each other. Typical 12 year olds, right?

Number one son came home and said he had an earache, he got hit in the head. No biggie, take some tylenol and don't shoot at each other next time, numbskull. Makes sense, right?

*That was the Monday that the school nurse sent him home with an earache and general malaise. Turns out she didn't even look in his ears! He hasn't had an earache since then and it wasn't bothering him, but it was not coming out on its own. The dr tried to use tweezers and to flush it out - no go. So she referred us to an ENT specialist, but said there was no rush.

I called and they took him this afternoon and had to use some vacuum hose contraption and finallt got it out.

Can you imagine? A BB in your freakin' ear for 2 and a half weeks!?

On top of it, the ped says that if a kid has a headache following a head hit, they consider it a mild concussion and they usually prohibit sports for a week (ack! hockey and baseball several times this week!), but she said it was hard to tell since he's been getting other headaches, so she said he had to sit out tonight and then keep a headache log for two weeks.

1 comment:

Evil Twin's Wife said...

Ick! I don't do well with ear type things. or mouth things. Hell, I'm not okay with most doctor-y stuff. I'm glad they found it.

Post a Comment

What Are *You Thinking About?
Go ahead, you can tell me.
It's just between us. ;-)

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Let's Give' Em Something to Talk About.....

How 'bout life?....

analytics

Observational Humor Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory

Look how many people have wandered in