But this time it's true.
I just spent an entire afternoon picking nits out of my daughter's hair.
Ewwwwww.
Hey, what was I going to do anyway? Our boat was out of the water, our bags were packed, and the laundry was done. Okay, not folded, but at least done.
You see, last weekend in the Adirondacks, DD told me her head itched.
Well, didn't all of our heads itch? And our ankles, and elbows, and toes. After all, we spent a fair amount of time outdoors and around the campfire. My head itched too, out of sympathy.
Well, after being home for a few days, I was a little suspicious, but a head check showed nothing,
I checked again today after more complaints and frantic scratching. Yup, I saw evidence of that which must not be named. But you know what I mean. It's fairly common in day cares, summer camps, schools - anywhere where kids congregate and do such unsanitary things as share combs, clothes, snuggles and hugs. DH and Number One Son seem to have been spared. I didn't see anything on myself, but I didn't trust any inspector other than myself and since she slept in MY bed, I treated to be on the safe side.
Oh, boy. This was noon. Good thing DH called and said the boat was still out of the water - because this was not something I could leave until later. We immediately stripped the beds, sanitized all combs and brushes and drove directly to the nearest pharmacy.
I did a lot of online reading too - did you know that that which must not be named cannot live without a host body for more than 48 hours?
Heh, we'll be out of our house for 72 hours this long weekend. And, they cannot be transmitted to pets. Whew. Thank goodness for small favors.
Now of course, since DD was away for so long, and we missed her so much and she's still a cute little cuddle big (heh, this brings new meaning to the phrase doesn't it?) she spent a lot of time snuggling in our bed and even sleeping there a night or two. I was suddenly feeling very itchy - was it real or imagined? Doesn't mater, I treated anyway. Solidarity, sister!
A further inspection while on our boat and underway, revealed that the stubborn little nits were still clinging without any sign of loosening up. So, I did a nice orangutan impression and picked nits all afternoon and followed up with another gel-comb through treatment. Please cross you fingers that I was able to get those muthers out of her fine hair.
So come'on, fess up. Who's gone through this before? It's more annoying than anything - due to all the washing and bagging and isolating.
Having been a camp director and day care director, I know this isn't supposed to mean shame has fallen upon our house (but I know old perceptions die hard and most of us aren't too keen on announcing this infestation) Would it help to know that it has nothing to do with cleanliness? Really. Look it up.
Oh, there I am.
1 week ago

7 comments:
OMG, I'm so sorry!
I haven't had to deal with that since I was about 14. Little sisters are such a blessing. @@
But I do remember the procedure well. You're in my thoughts!
I've gone through it for myself! Ick. Neither kid had had that pleasure, fortunately.
Sorry you're going through that. No experience with it myself or kids (knock on wood), but a friend of mine had it when we were younger. I remember I called her to see if she could come over and she said no, because she had "head lights".
Ugh. Yick. Yeah, I feel your pain.
We haven't had it in our house yet, but my daughter is a wee tad bit intrusive, boundaries-wise, so it's a matter of time, I'm sure. She loves camp... yeah.
I remember going through it myself a few times, the best being the time when all 5 of us in my family got it at the same time, and the infestation was so bad that we got them in our eyelashes, and my father's chest hair.
Gah.
I seem to be hearing about that which shall not be named more this year than any other that I can recall. WTH? Poor thing...and poor YOU! Hope all is better soon, and enjoy your weekend :)
All of a sudden, our roach infestation is looking pretty good.......
Lorrie - I'm not so sure about that.
Post a Comment
What Are *You Thinking About?
Go ahead, you can tell me.
It's just between us. ;-)