Random stuff, in no particular order about no particular subject(s) whatever.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

...oh, and don't be fooled. I often ramble here several times a day. Really, I know I should be doing something else - but don't TELL.

Sunday, August 10, 2008

I knew I'd forget....

What I was going to write about whilst away from civilization.

Let me see what I can remember...

Took all day to be ready to depart. I pretty much expected it, so I wasn't stressed until the last hour. My children are slower than molasses.

The dog pooped in the car on the way to the Vet. This is why I decided he was too old for the car ride to the Adirondacks. I had to throw away the blanket he smeared the poop all over. Gag.

Too many stops along the way. We stopped for gas at the Oneida reservation - waaay cheaper than here. Here = $4.19 a gallon. Oneida reservation = 3.83 a gallon. And I was happy at that.

At the gas station, I was flabbergasted to see a bumper sticker on a car that read,
"I fake it.
So he'll buy me more stuff".

The woman pumping gas was no prize, but I suppose that's irrelevant. I'm all for snark, but this just struck me as crass.

There was something else, but I forgot it, of course.

Kids bickered, I snapped, life goes on.

We arrived before dark. Just.

A cute little field mouse kept playing hide and seek with us from the fireplace gate. It *is a cabin in the woods, so not surprising.

It was nice to play Tiddly Winks, Old Maid and do a jigsaw puzzle in the absence of tv and computer.

My Dad's voice is still on the answering machine there. Creepy.

Visited the cemetery where my parents are buried. A peaceful place overlooking the golf course and Cedar River. Black-eyed susans blooming by the headstone, I think I'll bring some purple coneflowers next week to plant beside them. Still no date by my Dad's name. It's been a year, I thought Erik was taking care of that.

Went to the beautiful log cabin church on the shore of Blue Mountain Lake. It's a summer only church that serves the seasonal people and campers. It's like going home. If you click on the link, my Dad's in the photo (his back is to the camera) talking to some folks after church. There's a bench there now dedicated to his memory. That's really a nice tribute.

Oh - and it was beautiful weather on the drive up. Just gorgeous. The weather today for drop off? Rainy. Of course.

And it got worse while driving home. Thunderstorms with damaging winds. It figures.

And I had to pick up the dog between 4 and 6 pm. So, I basically dropped my kids off, unloaded the car, kissed them good-by and left. Granted, they didn't want me hanging around either, but it was quick.

So, I'm cruising along the Thruway and the GPS tells me I'll arrive at my destination with, like, 8 minutes to spare, when all traffic stops. 15 miles from my exit. There was an accident. So, I'm freaking a little because the Vet doesn't answer the phone on weekends. I end up arriving 12 minutes late and they actually answered when I knocked, so I got my dog. Yay! Now he's hiding because the thunder rolled in here, too.

Good news, DH asked me to join him and his golf buddies for an Italian dinner. Bonus! I thought I was on my own tonight.

Nothing witty, sorry for the ramble.

See y'all tomorrow. No I'm not Southern, we used to use that term in Philly. Right along with youse. Shut up. I do not have an accent. Really.

Update: Every single freakin' restaurant in Rochester is either closed on Sunday or stops serving at 8 PM. Geesh. The damn sidewalks are all but rolled up.

So, we had a lovely dinner at this place, despite the gentlemen wanting to go someplace "fancier". The food was FANTASTIC - so there, boys - would I steer you wrong?

1 comment:

Evil Twin's Wife said...

Well, if you're waiting on someone else to take care of the tombstone details, I wouldn't hold my breath, if I were you. The ONLY task I gave my brother was to call and have mom's death date added to the stone. Months later, I got a call from an aunt who said they'd visited and still no date. I call the monument place who tell me they hadn't spoken to ANYONE regarding that (even tho my bro told ME he had called). Ugh. I just made the arrangements myself.

Post a Comment

What Are *You Thinking About?
Go ahead, you can tell me.
It's just between us. ;-)

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Let's Give' Em Something to Talk About.....

How 'bout life?....

analytics

Observational Humor Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory

Look how many people have wandered in