Random stuff, in no particular order about no particular subject(s) whatever.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

...oh, and don't be fooled. I often ramble here several times a day. Really, I know I should be doing something else - but don't TELL.

Monday, August 18, 2008

A great word!

acnestis
noun (acnest, es)
  • (rfv-inflection, acnestes)
  1. The part of an animal's skin that it cannot reach to scratch itself - usually the space between the shoulder blades.
Etymology: From Greek "a-" (negative prefix) + "kne^stos" = "scratched", a form of "kna^o" = "scratch". This same etymology of the Greek "aknestis" is uncertain.

************************
And Ping Pong? Is an Olympic sport? I get that it's competitive, and the players are agile, but an OLYMPIC sport?

Like on par with a triathalon or the 800 IM relay in swimming or gymnastics vaulting or sprinting?

Come on, isn't it a recreational diversion for teens in their family rec rooms?

Would someone please scratch my acnestis? Maybe I can use a ping pong paddle.

5 comments:

Miss Thystle said...

Next thing you know, Wii Bowling is going to be an Olympic event. And I will still not win a gold.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, the ping pong thing was a little weird. Did you know the trampoline is an Olympic event as well?! Of course since I have pushed two human beings out of my hooha, winning a gold medal in trampoline is no longer in the cards for me. Because nobody wants to see an Olympic athlete wet her pants.
(Thank you so much for commenting on my blog post about my parents-- I appreciate it!)

Bj in Dallas said...

I think badmitton is pushing it...
next they will add tether-ball and jacks. Maybe they should have 'sub-categories'- pretty good at it but NOT quite Olympic worthiness. So they get Copper, Brass, and Cubic Zirconia medals...

kristin said...

Haha, I could so pretend to be an Olympian with the Wii Bowling.

Sadly I can relate to the pants-wetting. :-X Unfortunately, trampoline jumping also brings the risk of black eyes from bouncing boobs. (not such a problem anymore (see an old post from March), but I can still relate)

I used to ROCK tetherball at summer camp.

Thanks for stopping by, folks. :-)

Ruby said...

Who knew there was such a word for the spot you can't scratch?!

Come, come, now, Kristen! Don't you know it's TABLE TENNIS? Ha! I used to play ping pong with my grandfather. Hard. Core. :)

Post a Comment

What Are *You Thinking About?
Go ahead, you can tell me.
It's just between us. ;-)

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Let's Give' Em Something to Talk About.....

How 'bout life?....

analytics

Observational Humor Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory

Look how many people have wandered in