Random stuff, in no particular order about no particular subject(s) whatever.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

...oh, and don't be fooled. I often ramble here several times a day. Really, I know I should be doing something else - but don't TELL.

Thursday, January 22, 2009

Hmmmm, where to BeGiN?

First: a DiScLaiMeR. If you've come by thinking you'll find some witty, pithy commentary; I'm sorry, you won't find it here this week.

I've been a slacker both here and at home and work. I'm suffering from both eNnUi and PaNiC. I'm creating my own crunch and I'll be paying for it very soon.

We have about 80 people coming over on Saturday to our humble and modest abode (it's a basic suburban split-level colonial - certainly no more than 2000 sf) for the corporate Christmas party that was postponed from December when DH was in the hospital.

My children's rooms have been condemned by the local health department, my kitchen is buried under a mountain of school notes, coupons and unread newspapers, I have stinky hockey equipment in my guest bathroom, and 2 litter boxes that I don't know what to do with during the party. Oh, and since it's post-Christmas, no homey, warm decorations to distract the eye away from cabinets that need refinishing and baseboards that have seen better days.

We rent a tent and a heater and set it up on the deck to put the bar. That's where most of the people hang out anyway. But said deck is currently buried underneath snow and ice.

My brother came to visit last weekend and provided the perfect opportunity to drink beer (Magic Hat winter ale mix) and procrastinate instead of cleaning and decluttering. By the way, he argued about all the Scrabble words that are accepted by the online dictionaries. Classics like ZA and QI. How can I play Scrabble without those words!?

I had a follow-up visit to a doctor that I was referred to after my kidney infection from December. (If you know me in real life or know my address, PLEASE STOP READING HERE!)

Last week I had a catheter put in as part of the dr visit. That was BaD enough, use your imagination, but at least the doctor was a very pregnant woman named Kristin. :-) This past Friday, I had the pleasure discomfort of having a teeny tiny camera inserted to take pictures of my bladder . (okay, the pictures were way cool - I could see them on a tv screen, but THAT'S NOT THE POINT) The doctor was a cute kid young man named TIM. Color me shocked, but what was I supposed to do? Run out ScReaMinG? I had to suck it up and deal. Talk about a wee bit embarrassing. Anyway.

Okay, if you know me, you can open your eyes and start reading again.

I went sledding with a youth group on Monday. It was fun, but I used a little purple disc that was meant for someone about 70 lbs lighter than me, and was told that all I had to do was put my feet out and I could brake. As a result, I slid (sledded?) all the way down, pretty much on my coat, not the disc.

So, I started out the work week a day late, then I pretty much frittered away the work day on Tuesday by watching inaugural coverage on the computer. My newsletter NEEDS to be mailed out this week. And did I mention that 80 people that my husband works with are coming to my house on Saturday?! Yeah, I have a bit of a time crunch on my hands. And what am I doing? Blogging. Yeah, I know. I need an intervention.

I missed LOST last night. I was too tired. I'll catch it soon, I hope since it's been DVR'd. I did see Top Chef. I fell asleep several times, so I watched it this morning. None of them were on their game last night. Well, maybe Stefan and Fabio. But the rest? Blah.

ps, yes, I totally copied Lorrie's mixed up letters. I LoVe them. And they do say that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. :-)

12 comments:

3carnations said...

The corporatte Christmas party is at your house? Are you the President of the corporation?

Also - catheter - AWKWARD. I had one after my csection.

Love the penguin header - My son is a huge fan of Penguins.

3carnations said...

corporate.

Must proofread.

kristin said...

DH is president of the Y here, and the big staff Christmas party is at the Convention center, but this one is for corporate staff, branch execs and spouses.

My theory is that after the first 3-5 people arrive, it gets so crowded and fun that no one will notice a dirty floor or a dusty lamp. :-)

3carnations said...

Either that or they will think the other guests caused the dirty floor...Dusty lamp...that's hard to blame on company! ;)

Heather said...

It *is* supposed to warm up significantly tomorrow (the 6am channel 10 weather report said "possibly up to the low 40s"!!!!) so that should help with the ice-on-deck situation.

As for the rest of it - good luck! I'm presently cleaning up for the impending arrival of Real Estate Agent #1 this evening.

Oh, and I suppose it is a bad time to ask, what with the party prep and all, but would you want to try out the 9am Friday Zumba class with me? I walked past it last Friday and it looked like FUN! :)

Downbeat said...

I totally make my own time crunches, too. It's so nice to sit around all relaxed blogging and reading pointless stuff and watching TV on hulu... and then you force yourself to have a deadline. Some people think that's poor practice, but I operate much better under a stressful deadline. As for having 80 people in your house... are they all going to be in there at the same time?! That just makes my brain hurt.

Anonymous said...

Thanks -- you have totally made my list of To-Do's seem manageable!
Seriously though, it will all come together. How do I know this? Because it always comes together. We are Super-Women!

Amy said...

Buy buckets of Ice Melt. I have to clear some of our deck, too. Oh, and don't use your feet to brake when sledding, use your hands. :)

Miss Thystle said...

Keep the lights low, makes the dirt harder to see. Alternately, get rubbermaid bins, stuff every thing you can get your hands on in them, stuff them in the garage. Or, lastly, hire a maid service. it will cost you, but it will be worth it in the stress saved.

Or, just get them all really, really drunk. If you chose that option, I'll be right over. I'll bring cookies.

33 questions said...

Please don't tell me you have to cook for these people. In my worst nightmares, I have to cook for people. Either that or I'm swimming in black water and there are things touching my legs.

kristin said...

It's catered. :::whew:::

The last time I shoved stuff in a basket and stuck it in the coat closet, I lost it for 6 months. I guess that's stuff I should chuck, huh?

I will use ice melt, thank you. And also make reluctant Number One Son chop at it. In the dark. After wrestling practice.

The lamp is not really dusty, but there are cat hairs on the couch.

All 80 people are there at once, that's why we put up a tent. The most crowded places are the kitchen and the deck, but the servers are wonderful and you would never know that they are fighting their way through a swarm of people to pass hors d'ouervres (sp?). And the living room remains mostly empty.


H - I'd love to try Zumba 0 maybe next week?

Ruby said...

Wow, good luck! I agree with Thystle, just get them all good and drunk and no one will notice (or be able to remember)!

Post a Comment

What Are *You Thinking About?
Go ahead, you can tell me.
It's just between us. ;-)

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Let's Give' Em Something to Talk About.....

How 'bout life?....

analytics

Observational Humor Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory

Look how many people have wandered in