But that's because they do it on purpose.
You know they do.
But really, OPK (Other People's Kids)? They don't bother me.
I know babies will coo, or get cranky; and toddlers are needy and don't have refined manners. They're just doing what they're programmed to do. I understand that.
And I'm VERY sympathetic towards harried mothers who might be at their wit's end.
But what DOES annoy me is people who bring children to places and events where it is not appropriate - either due to the time of day, or the content, or the atmosphere.
You know what I mean. The people who affect the mood of your romantic dinner when you are at a fancy restaurant late in the evening. The couple who insist on bringing their kids when you invite them over, even though you've suggested that they get a babysitter so you can enjoy adult conversation.
And the group behind me at Bride Wars yesterday who had not one, but two alternately crying and cooing babies. And a passel of children of other assorted young ages. Clearly not a group of children who had any remote understanding of the situations and comedy of the movie.
I'm not annoyed at the kids. In fact their behaviors wouldn't have attracted any attention at say, Bolt, or Wall-E. But Bride Wars? It was very annoying. And the stoopid twit mothers just kept bouncing their little bundles of joy despite the fact that their sounds were annoying to others.
And to top it all off? I swear one of the babies needed a diaper change. Pee-uuuu.
I was on a roll yesterday, because DD and I went to out to eat last night since the guys were
The downstairs was fairly empty and yet they sat an extended family 7 next to us. In a corner. A crowded corner.
The elderly parents had smelly unwashed hair and the woman had more facial hair than her husband. They had a weird unwashed, old person/homeless aroma about them. The rest of the family (adult siblings and their families) were oblivious and in fact, didn't really talk much to the elderly grandparents at all. I think the elderly mother spoke 2 words the entire time. I'm not even sure she ordered her own food. But the teen boy knocked over his water glass and ice cubes not once, but about 3 times and then started drumming a beat on the table and then proceeded to cluck his tongue.
Argggghhhh. I can get that crap from my own Rude Teenage Son. I don't need it from someone else's.
I'm sorry. Some of that was mean -spirited. Truth be told, had it not been for the Teen-age son, I wouldn't have noticed the rest.
I know, I sound like a curmudgeon.
Sorry. Rant over.

5 comments:
I totally understand and commiserate with you. And as I get older, I find I have less and less patience for other people's ignorance and stupidity.
My husband almost got into a fist fight with another guy at a Cirque de Soleil show because the guy was sitting behind us and would not stop cheering in this loud, awful voice, as if he was at a baseball game. Oh yeah, and he'd do this high-pitched whistle which made me want to cream him.
SING IT, SISTER, AMEN.
Seriously, if I wanted to spend an evening listening to a kid whine, I'd spend it with my own kid. The reason I went to dinner at a place with NO KIDS MENU is because I didn't want to deal with kids. I don't go to Chuck E Cheese when I want peace and quiet, I don't go to Denny's or Red Robbin or even Olive Garden, those too are "family" places where you expect families of moderately behaved children. I go to places with $20/plate food because I want a certain atmosphere that the toddler wailing and throwing her food about is ruining.
As for movies, I think there should be door monitors and if you're not to a certain height you don't go in. Just like roller coasters.
Now hand me the hose, I see some kids thinking about stepping on my lawn.
Thystle - be nice. You KNOW it's too damned cold here to use the hose. Thanks for rubbing it in. Again.
hee hee I am so with you on this one ... I own a four yr and 6yr old and would never dream of taking them to an adult movie !! so wrong on so many levels ...
don't you guys have those special 10am mid week sessions called babes in arms - for mums and bubs where everyone is a mum and bub ..
also I use to own a wee BYO cafe restaurant and the one night we had the city newspaper food critic in we had a family of six who did NOTHING to control their two youngest - and I mean NOTHING ... food on the floor, drinks spilt and the noise - augh !!
I did several pointed asks to the parents to act but no ...
we were empty except for these two tables and in the end I refused to approve the review as I knew it would be crap ...
I think there should be a surchange on badly behaving families .... le xoxoxo
Post a Comment
What Are *You Thinking About?
Go ahead, you can tell me.
It's just between us. ;-)