But there are
Really. Just give me the carols and the food.
Don't get me wrong.
I LOVE giving gifts. And picking them out. And making gifts (spiced pecans, chocolate dipped pretzel sticks, peppermint white chocolate bark, handpainted swirled glass ornaments, etc.) I love to say "thank you" to those who have made my life easier, taken care of my kids, hosted lovely get-togethers, done jobs that I can't or don't want to have to do....
I love Advent and the new church year.
I love the anticipation of Christmas, the traditions and rituals (okay, maybe not *All of them, but some of them), the celebration of the birth of Christ, the magic of Christmas with young children, the reunion of family and friends.... you get the picture.
But I do NOT like the pressure to find the perfect gift, the pressure to buy gifts and send cards out of obligation. (I am much happier spying the PERFECT gift at some other time of the year and surprising the recipient for no reason.)
The crowds, the traffic, the parking.
The dilemma of shopping for gifts for nephews or nieces that are almost grown and are so far away that I'm not up on their interests, needs and likes.
The mailing of gifts to far-off friends and family.
The difference in expectations and traditions between your birth family and your family-by-marriage.
I do not like trying to think of something personal to write on 100 Christmas cards (and what's the point of just sending a colorful piece of paper with your name on it), or addressing, signing, licking and stamping them.
I do not like worrying about who I might have missed. And surely offended.
The bills, I should mention the bills. Actually it's not the bills - they're payable. It's the budgeting. No, that's not hard. It's trying to figure out x number of dollars to spend on 18-26 people. And then realizing you forgot the teachers and bus drivers or something like that. I never know all the rules about holiday gifting and tipping.
You know... who's an owner, who relies on tips, who can't accept tips, who's a professional and would be offended....
:::sigh::: I know, I'm just a whiner today.

2 comments:
personally, I am ready for January because I am sick of the drama ALREADY happening with both families
BUT for some reason I love sending out cards and receiving them:)
I confess that we usually just send out our photo cards without signing them.
Post a Comment
What Are *You Thinking About?
Go ahead, you can tell me.
It's just between us. ;-)