Random stuff, in no particular order about no particular subject(s) whatever.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

...oh, and don't be fooled. I often ramble here several times a day. Really, I know I should be doing something else - but don't TELL.

Tuesday, December 9, 2008

BITE ME!

I mean that in the nicest way.

I'll tell you the truth.

Today was really sucky. Skip this if you don't want to read whining and medical details. Go right to the bottom of the post.

DH called me at 7:00 AM and told me the surgeon thought his surgical recovery was good and there was no reason for him to stay in the hospital.

He said the kidney doctor had to sign off, but that he anticipated going home today.

I thought I'd go in to work (I totally missed yesterday while on hospital watch waiting for DH to come out of surgery and recovery - I finally saw DH after 5 and a half hours of waiting) and then go to the hospital to meet with the doctors, nutritionist, diabetes manager, etc, then TAKE HIM HOME!

Instead, he called at 8:45 and said the surgeon came in, and thought he'd be going home this morning - come now! Inconvenient, but do-able. I swung by church and told the pastor and went straight to the hospital. Yippee!!

He's been in the hospital since 10:30 PM LAST Wednesday. That's 5 days, 17 hours, 17 minutes, in case you're counting. If you're reading this after 3:45 PM, add more hours and minutes as appropriate.

Not so fast, campers, he did NOT, in fact go home today.

Anyway, SURGICALLY he's fine, but the medical team won't give him the all clear because of his kidney function. They're putting him on insulin, but aren't being consistent with it's management in the hospital. He has to test blood sugar before eating, but lunch came and no nurse or tech in sight to do the test. Then it took another half an hour to get the insulin shot.

The doctor ordered more blood work, so the nurse thought it could be drawn at the same time as they put a new IV in, if that was necessary. Turns out the new IV wasn't necessary, but the blood tech came to put in an IV and had no orders for the blood draw. Now, *every single person who has drawn blood or put in an IV has had trouble with his veins. They've frayed catheters, missed veins, pinched and poked and prodded until I can see bruises and pin holes up and down each arm and his hands. I've never seen anyone have so much trouble with needles. He's understandably cranky about this. We don't need ANY unnecessary pokes. It seems like it takes an act of Congress to get the various departments to communicate with each other. And it takes almost an hour to get a simple Tylenol (and that's after 45 minutes of getting a doctor to give the "order").

Oh, and here's a helpful tidbit for you....Advil and Aleve and like medications are VERY, VERY bad if you have any kidney problems and probably led to some of DH's issues.

After crying in the hospital, (partially out of frustration and sympathy and partially because he said something in jest about this being my fault and I. LOST. IT!) I left him as he was on his way to get an ultrasound to get more info on his kidneys. They may end up doing a biopsy later this week.

I cried in the hall. I cried in the elevator. I cried in the parking lot. I cried in the car.

This sucks. We're up to 5 days, 17 hours, 34 minutes and counting. I'm frustrated, tired, and cranky.

DH is tired, frustrated, and cranky.

Do the math. It's not a winning combination.

I have a headache.

Then I came home. There were several packages at the door.

THIS is the one that made me smile.
It sums up my frame of mind perfectly.

I put on a kettle of water, brewed a cup of Tazo cinnamon spice tea with honey and milk, and went right to the couch.

Thank you, Sheree, of Museware Pottery.
Poke around a bit, I'm sure you'll find the perfect mug for your frame of mind.

If you're looking for something a little racier, try her SwearWare Pottery. Warning: don't go if you're offended by swear words.

Anyway, you can also find her blog, Opinions of a Broad, here. She's funny, snarky, and refreshing, check her out.

If you're still counting, we're at 5 days, 17 hours, and 43 minutes.




13 comments:

Amy said...

I'm sorry! I know it's so hard and frustrating. And I feel his pain on blood draws. No one ever listens to me when I tell them my veins suck.

PearlsOfSomething said...

Great big (((( )))))!!!!

Krëg said...

Thoughts and prayers are with you.

Deb said...

I love the mug. I think you should parade around with it so that everyone can relate to you.

I really hope things get better soon.

Heather said...

UGH. UGH UGH UGH!

Hang in there!! If there's anything I can do, give me a shout. (((((HUGS)))))

3carnations said...

Ugh! I hope he can come home soon. How frustrating for all of you.

Evil Twin's Wife said...

I'm so sorry you all are going through all this. Dealing with hospitals can be so frustrating sometimes. I hope he can come home soon {{{HUGS}}}

Anonymous said...

Bless your heart! This is, by all accounts, the suckiest week ever. I hope DH gets to come home to you soon.

And I hope you laced that Chai Tea with something a bit 'stronger' than caffiene. You deserve it...

Miss Thystle said...

You poor thing. Big hugs.

Heather said...

Thinking of you and your family, K - hoping DH is home from the hospital and recovering well.

(((((HUGS)))))

Lorrie Veasey said...

I hope he will be home soon and this will all be a distant memory. I had a shit day as well, but reading about your day put my shit day in perspective--so thank you. And I still love you even if you are chaeting on me with another potter.

Sue Wilkey said...

Oh my gosh, that sounds horrible!!!!! Hang in there, girlfriend...

Mandy said...

more hugs!!!!

Post a Comment

What Are *You Thinking About?
Go ahead, you can tell me.
It's just between us. ;-)

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Let's Give' Em Something to Talk About.....

How 'bout life?....

analytics

Observational Humor Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory

Look how many people have wandered in