Random stuff, in no particular order about no particular subject(s) whatever.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

...oh, and don't be fooled. I often ramble here several times a day. Really, I know I should be doing something else - but don't TELL.

Friday, April 10, 2009

oh. no. way.

She's only 10 years old.

She still falls asleep in my lap when she's really tired.

She has a quirky fashion sense that involves mixing prints and colors not found in nature.

She spends ages in front of the mirror, experimenting with her image, her persona, having fun with it all.

She's only 10.

She gets easily distracted while cleaning her room and could end up writing a song, or choreographing dance steps for a song she heard on the radio or drawing a picture for her YiaYia.

She likes to climb trees and ride her bike.

She still likes school.

She's only 10.

She sometimes forgets to brush her teeth.

Her favorite foods are spanakopita, mac and cheese, hotdogs.

She ate 5 apples in one afternoon last week to make up for not having an apple a day.

This came home from school yesterday.
She's only 10.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not upset that they're going over this stuff in school.

I just can't believe she's almost that age.

She's only 10.

And I think their marketing is hysterical.
Your "Happy Kit"? Are you kidding me?

Now, I don't call it the curse, or anything, but "happy kit"? :::snort:::

Do any of you remember a kit like that? I remember one my mom gave me from Kotex. It had all kinds of big bulky pads and panties with little elastic straps in them (before the days of the sticky lining) and garters.

http://www.mylivesignature.com/signatures/54487/90/0A3C0348987BD765FBF549B6D543A902.png

11 comments:

Creative Junkie said...

ROTF! Ah yes, I remember Zoe coming home with something similar.

Happy? WTF? You just know it's a man who's in charge of this marketing campaign.

Tuesday Taylor said...

Oh yeah! I totally got the Kotex kit in 6th grade, the one with the zexy, mod elastic belt! I took one look at that belt and was like HELL NO! The must have come out with the sticker mattress by the time I needed it...
And 'Happy Kit'?

rockygrace said...

My mom never discussed ANY of this stuff with me, although I did get the little lecture in health class. When I told her I had started my period, she asked me if I wanted to use pads or "the kind you stick up inside you". Gee, Mom, I don't know ........

Mary@Holy Mackerel said...

Happy my butt. There is nothing happy about it, as we all know. They should call it Your Awful Time of the Month Kit, or Your I Wish I Was Infertile kit...

I remember going through the sex ed stuff too around that age. It does seem so young...

Michel said...

Happy kit?! That's like calling a casket your relocation upgrade kit.

I guess it is "always" a good idea.

Blonde Goddess said...

HAHAHA.
I'm laughing but Miss KIA started her period when she was 10.
You might think this stuff is premature but a lot of girls are starting at a younger age now.

Lorrie Veasey said...

It's the hormones in the milk.

You know if guys got periods...well, actually they wouldn't because they would have found a cure for it a long time ago.

Miss Thystle said...

(the following is the longest comment in the history of comments. You're welcome.)

This is an actual letter from an Austin woman sent to American company Proctor and Gamble regarding their feminine products. She really gets rolling after the first paragraph... PC Magazine's 2007 editors' choice for best webmail-award-winning letter....


Dear Mr. Thatcher,

I have been a loyal user of your 'Always' maxi pads for over 20 years and I appreciate many of their features. Why, without the Leak Guard Core or Dri-Weave absorbency, I'd probably never go horseback riding or salsa dancing, and I'd certainly steer clear of running up and down the beach in tight, white shorts. But my favorite feature has to be your revolutionary Flexi-Wings. Kudos on being the only company smart enough to realize how crucial it is that maxi pads be aerodynamic. I can't tell you how safe and secure I feel each month knowing there's a little F-16 in my pants.

Have you ever had a menstrual period, Mr. Thatcher? Ever suffered from th e curse'? I'm guessing you haven't. Well, my time of the month is starting right now. As I type, I can already feel hormonal forces violently surging through my body. Just a few minutes from now, my body will adjust and I'll be transformed into what my husband likes to call 'an inbred hillbilly with knife skills. Isn't the human body amazing?

As Brand Manager in the Feminine-Hygiene Division, you've no doubt seen quite a bit of research on what exactly happens during your customers monthly visits from 'Aunt Flo'. Therefore, you must know about the bloating, puffiness, and cramping we endure, and about our intense mood swings, crying jags, and out-of-control behavior . You surely reali ze it's a tough time for most women. In fact, only last week, my friend Kayla fought the violent urge to shove her boyfriend's testicles into a George Foreman Grill just because he told her he thought Grey 's Anatomy was written by drunken chimps. Crazy!

The point is, sir, you of all people must realize that America is just crawling with homicidal maniacs in Capri pants... Which brings me to the reason for my letter. Last month, while in the throes of cramping so painful I wanted to reach inside my body and yank out my uterus, I opened an Always maxi-pad, and there, printed on the adhesive backing, were these words: 'Have a Happy Period.'

Are you fu*ing kidding me? What I mean is, does any part of your tiny middle-manager brain really think happiness -- actual smiling, laughing happiness is possible during a menstrual period? Did anything mentioned above sound the least bit pleasurable? Well, did it, James? FYI, unless you're some kind of sick S&M freak girl, there will never be anything 'happy' about a day in which you have to jack yourself up on Motrin and Kahlua and lock yourself in your house just so you don't march down to the local Walgreen's armed with a hunting rifle and a sketchy plan to end your life in a blaze of glory.

For the love of God, pull your head out, man! If you just have to slap a moronic message on a maxi pad, wouldn't it make more sense to say something that's actually pertinent, like 'Put down the Hammer' or 'Vehicular Manslaughter is Wrong', or are you just picking on us?

Sir, please inform your Accounting Department that, effective immediately, there will be an $8 drop in monthly profits, for I have chosen to take my maxi-pad business elsewhere And though I will certainly miss your Flexi-Wings, I will not for one minute miss your brand of condescending bullshit. And that's a promise I will keep. Always....

Best,
Wendi Aarons
Austin , TX

Robin said...

I have yet to find anything happy about it.

Amy said...

My mother absolutely did not give me a kit like that... she would have sooner died, lol. And no, there's not a damn thing about it that's happy, unless you're praying you're not pregnant. Allison's 10, too, and I think it's going to be time for a bra soon. I haven't shared that info with DH, but it'll be fun to watch steam come out of his ears, lol.

A.West said...

LMAO! I remember that kit. Well, it didn't say anything as moronic as "Happy Kit" - but same idea.

Post a Comment

What Are *You Thinking About?
Go ahead, you can tell me.
It's just between us. ;-)

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Let's Give' Em Something to Talk About.....

How 'bout life?....

analytics

Observational Humor Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory

Look how many people have wandered in