A hearty greek macaroni and beef casserole - think lasagna made with ziti and a bechamel sauce on top. Yummmmm.
This is not a picture of my pastitsio. Mine looks messier, but my topping is creamier and thicker - better, of course! :-)Brown ground beef in frying pan - I use about a pound and a half. Mix in finely chopped onions, more or less depending on how much you like them. Drain off the fat, add a can of tomato paste and fill can with red wine ( don't forget a glass for the cook, too!) and add that. Then add salt, cinnamon (about a 1/2 tsp), and nutmeg (about a 1/8 tsp). I also like to add a little oregano and basil or greek seasoning (Cavender's is one brand).
Let it simmer for a while and add more wine if necessary or even another can of tomato sauce. Then taste and add more seasonings if you like.
Boil a box of ziti or rigatoni or penne. Drain and add a little of the ground beef mixture (about a half cup to a cup), then mix in a stick of butter or margarine, 1 or 2 beaten eggs and about a half cup or so of grated parmesan or romano cheese.
In a long pyrex casserole dish or a foil pan, layer a cup or so of the gr. beef, then the ziti mixture, then the rest of the gr. beef mixture.
Cover it with bechamel sauce.
Bechamel:
- In a saucepan, melt 4 tablespoons butter, then mix in flour and 1/4 teaspoon salt.
- Slowly stir in the 2 cups hot milk, stirring well after each addition so that no lumps form.
- Cook and stir on medium high until cream sauce starts to thicken; stir for one minute more, then remove from heat. not too thick, it will thcken a bit when cooking, but not too thin, either
- Beat egg (or two) in a small bowl (it;'s creamier if you seperate the eggs and whp the egg whites seperately before adding), then pour into cream sauce, stirring briskly.
- Blend in the 1/3 to 1/2 cup Parmesan or romano cheese. add a little bit of nutmeg
Let set for 10 minutes before serving. The measurements of these ingredients are very forgiving - it's my greek mother-in-law's recipe and she has changed it over the years - at one point there were like, 8 eggs in the recipe.
Enjoy!
Pictures of my shameful clutter and disaster coming later. I'm working up the courage.

10 comments:
That is making me hungry.
Sorry Deb, You'll need your index finger to make this. :-)
You had me at 'Red Wine'
I forgot my lunch today, too. So hungry right now...and reading this didn't help! Sounds DELICIOUS!
that looks really good .... I will have to try this someday soon :)
Hmm, I'd never thought to do this instead of baked ziti (which is what is on the menu at Casa Smith this evening)... I'm missing some key ingredients to change the menu for tonight, but will add them to the list for the next grocery store trip.
Only thing is, I am the Queen of Lumps. Seriously. Cannot keep a sauce smooth to save my life. Be it something as simple as gravy for the Thanksgiving turkey (oh I have a story about Tgiving gravy, too, whoo boy), or something more complex like Hollandaise sauce from scratch (what was I thinking?!), I cannot, no matter what whisk or other fancy (or even simple) gizmo I use, keep lumps outta my sauce.
Humph. Lumpy Sauce is my cooking bĂȘte noire! :D
(See - baked zeet - no sauce to lumpify! Or, just 'cause I'm part Italian, take your pick........)
Oh. My. Stars. I can't wait to try this...might make it for the family in Charlotte this weekend!
Ooooh, I've never heard of this but it sounds delish! Definitely adding it to my list!
Thanks for the recipe. One thing my whole family likes is any kind of pasta dish, so I'll definitely try this one!
I had to come back and say that I made this other night and it was BIG hit ... I didnt follow it exactly (I forgot to buy an onion so I used onion powder, I left out the nutmeg b/c I just dont like it and I think I did my layers the opposite of what you said because I just did the layering without rereading your directions)..in any case, everyone loved it (we had dinner guests) and I will make it again and again!! Perhaps next time I will actually READ it all:)
Post a Comment
What Are *You Thinking About?
Go ahead, you can tell me.
It's just between us. ;-)