Random stuff, in no particular order about no particular subject(s) whatever.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

...oh, and don't be fooled. I often ramble here several times a day. Really, I know I should be doing something else - but don't TELL.

Thursday, September 18, 2008

The Alphabet Not-for-Profit that my husband works for...

You all know it. This group made it a household name.




Anyway, tonight was the kick-off of their annual "Invest In Youth" campaign. The goal this year is to raise $1,250,000 to provide scholarships for camp and day care and for financial assistance for families for memberships and programs at the "Not- X-and-Not-Z".

The room was filled with several hundred dedicated volunteers who are involved in the fundraising. Many families who have been touched by the "Not- X-and-Not-Z" or helped told their stories and there were inspiring stories from 3 different people about how they lost more than 100 pounds after they made a commitment to exercise at the "Not-X-and-Not-Z" (geez, I have no excuse) and there was a great testimony from a family where both parents are in the armed services and grandma had custody of their son who had a great experience at overnight camp.

They announced the results of their early campaigning - the in-house fundraising of staff, key donors and supporters. They've already raised over half of their goal! They always have a good time at these events, and much silliness is involved - think summer camp skits. Two years ago when they broke the one million dollar mark, my DH and 2 of the VP's dressed up as Spice Girls. My husband is a large and hairy man. This was frightening. Maybe I can search for the photo that I snuck. and post it later.

Anyway, the energy and spirit and support for this campaign is great. The money really goes to a good cause and the families who have been helped are really great. If you have a "Not-X-and-Not-Z" in your community or are involved with the "Not-X-and-Not-Z", you should know that it's much, much more than a place to work out or send your kids to camp - the "Not-X-and-Not-Z" is committed to making those experiences available to all. So, if you get a chance, give to a good cause. :-)

Did I mention that I worked for the "Not- X-and-Not-Z" for 11 years? (before I had kids and then due to conflict of interest, both DH and I could not continue to work for the same association). Oh, yeah, and I met DH through the "Not- X-and-Not-Z". :-)

Darling Daughter came home with more than a dozen HUGE balloons from the event. Little perks of attending. Somehow they all fit in my van and doh! I forgot to take a pic - it was quite a sight.

I'm off to meet Heather for REAL today for lunch! Enjoy the day.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

We love the ______!

Heck, I love it just for child watch! My youngest also is in love with one of the child watch workers! He follows her around whenever she is there with him!

Heather said...

Yep, we're longtime members of the NotXandNotZ! :)

My kiddo would be very, very jealous of the balloons your kiddo brought home, if she knew about them!

Evil Twin's Wife said...

We have several, but none that are conveniently located for me. But, you're right. It is a good cause.

Post a Comment

What Are *You Thinking About?
Go ahead, you can tell me.
It's just between us. ;-)

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Let's Give' Em Something to Talk About.....

How 'bout life?....

analytics

Observational Humor Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory

Look how many people have wandered in