Well, it was a whirl-wind weekend of picking kids up at camp, driving, family graduation party festivities, camp laundry, more camp laundry and dropping kids off to camp again.
And h-u-g-e thunder storms and torrential downpours. Oh yeah, driving was fun. Not. It was so bad at one point that I (and everyone else on the highway - lest you think that I was just a Nervous Nelly) had to pull over and wait for it to subside a bit.
And DH and I have a fundamental disagreement about driving. Highways vs. scenic roads. No, it's not that simple. It's actually highways (sort of out-of-the-way) vs. the shortest route, even if that route is backroads. Guess who's on which side?
DH has satellite radio. I found the 70's station and had a blast singing off-key to some great one-hit wonders. The seventies was a decade of some realllly bad music, but I loved it all. :-)
Anyway, I didn't take as many photos as I thought I would, but I'll share a few later today. It was H-O-T this weekend and the party was outdoors, under a tent and it was miserably, sweat-trickling hot. Enough whining.
I wore the green Boden dress, but after I had the tailor change the straps from ahalter to a cross back, I felt like I didn't have enough support or coverage and I didn't want to be spilling out during the family party, so I wore a cute little green shrug type sweater. That didn't last long. I had my MIL pin the straps (real classy) so I could remove the sweater, and I don't know what was worse - the safety pin or my fat arms.
I almost wore the Ann Taylor dress, but not only was it silk (hot!) and snug around the ribcage, but I broke the strap in my sweaty haste to try on multiple outfits, so that choice was lost.
The party was nice, good food, a chance to catch up with relatives (less fussy than a wedding and more fun than a funeral), and a chance to see my adorable little nieces (7 year old twins and their 3 year old sister).
Darling Daughter is safely ensconced at my childhood camp. I wanted to stay there in the worst way. Did I mention that my grandmother, mother, and all my female cousins were also a part of that camp as board members, campers, counselors and admin staff (Mom was Nurse, I was Waterfront Director and my cousin was Asst. Director) over the years? From the camp's inception in 1937. I think that's a pretty cool legacy.
Number One Son is back at his Y camp. Looking forward to golf camp this week. He is soooo good with younger kids. he was outstanding with his younger cousins. I wish he'd show that patience and caring with his sister, but at least I know the capability is there.
I hope they're having as much fun as I did back in my camp days. I'm trying to be good at sending them cards and news from home. That was always a highlight of "rest hour" - getting mail from home.
I have to be creative, since Emma's camp now prohibits all food care packages - there's a worry about bears. Yes, BEARS.
So, I'll stick to magazines and puzzle books, I guess. Mickey would love food care packages, but he already has stuff I sent wth him and I don't want to give him *too much junk food. I know, what a killjoy. Sorry.
Besides, they both have access to a camp store where they can purchase treats.
So, my childless vacation continues. :-)
Enjoy the day.
Oh, there I am.
1 week ago

3 comments:
We've missed out on the big storms, and we need one. It's been almost 3 weeks since it last rained... which of course, was a huge hailstorm that scared the pants off me, lol.
Sounds like a fun weekend. :)
The camps sound fun. Cool that your daughter is going to the same one as the other generations of your family!
Post a Comment
What Are *You Thinking About?
Go ahead, you can tell me.
It's just between us. ;-)